Saturday, May 9, 2015

April makings


Busy as a bee again in April with a quilt for a birthday and some Bee blocks.
This fun and very spring Tulip block. I'm going to say it again, I'm not good with directions. But I thought I'd give it a try. I started cutting and cutting and the realized that perhaps the directions were for  the entire quilt, not for a quilt block. So I stopped and reassessed and my mistake hopefully will be someones pleasure as I made 4 blocks instead of 2.
Amsterdam Blocks


The Bee Sewcial blocks for Diane. I loved her color palette and her inspirational art. Her request is that each block have not just curves but round/oval things with a pop of black. I needed to come up with enough for the equivalent of 2 12"blocks and I did that with 3 blocks of different sizes. I forgot to take good outside photos before I sent them off in the mail (typical).
My 3 blocks. 


My local guild had a name tag swap. I got carried away and made 2. One for a guild mate and one for a lovely IG follower who entered into a small giveaway I had.
My guild mates name is Sheri
Sheri, right? All done with inset seams and lots and lots of glue

The back, name more obvious
This name tag is about 5 x 4"
The IG winner is Tamara
I had a blast with this one. The flash is on so you can see the retroreflective fabric

Added a grommet for hanging. The nano particle fabric is silver gray when not reflecting light
This name tag is about 4 x 4"

I really had fun messing with their names.
Tamara also got some nano particle fabric. That stuff is showing up in lots of little things I'm making.

I also had a first in April. I made a bed and carrying bag for a hedgehog. My niece is adopting one. Hopefully she'll send me photos of the goods in use.

Carrying bag on left, bed on right, both lined with fleece. Hedgehog fabric on both.



Lastly, I had planned on a pillow for the X-factor pillow swap, this rounds theme was drunkards path. I went with a modified drunkards path and then ended up keeping it. It will be a gift instead. I used my fun nano particle fabric (again).
Front, no flash (pay attention to the purple oval)

With flash. Ta dah!

I quilted the right side to mimic the piecing on the left.
I ended up calling it Blank Canvas.
It's 20 x 20"

The back, simple with a zip closure

And some utilitarian things for a talented crowd of teens- I modified slightly a pattern by sotakhandmade, eliminating the lining fabric.
patriotic red-white & blue fabrics from my stash, all cut

Shoe bags for the competitors. 

I'm still working on quilting my Bee Sewcial quilt. I took a break to get some other things done.

I have a few other quilts in the works. Don't forget to check back.


4 comments:

  1. Wow - a very full month. Your creativity with the name tags is very fun! And I especially love the pillow cover - ALOT! I like how you mimic your design with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the improv lettering on the name tag and still blown away by your nano particle fabric. Hedgehogs for a hedgehog you just don't see that everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure made a lot of stuff. I really want some of that nano particle fabric, I suppose I would have to mortgage the house or something to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your blocks for this month's Bee are my favorite. You are a beauty making machine and oh so generous. Thank you, thank you for my lovely bracelet

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete

If you don't speak up, I won't know what's in your mind…….