Friday, May 15, 2015

Aspirin anyone?

I seem to be easily distracted these days. I should be working on things I have ready and waiting. I keep finding other things to do. Case in point. My daughter's (and my son's) favorite teacher is leaving their high school at the end of this school year. My daughter asked if I could make her a quilt. (Of course she did). This teacher is very special and she will be missed. The class is AP Chemistry. And what kind of quilt do you make a chemistry teacher? Well, a chemistry quilt of course.


My daughter asked and got her favorite compound. The teacher likes it because it's fun to say, acetylsalicylic acid. Aspirin to most everyone else.

I thought about construction of this for a little bit, I actually slept on it. And the best solution seemed to me was to try bias tape. Thanks to the perseverance of some wonderful quilting friends, I did have my reservations but I also had resolve.  I muscled the 1/2" black Kona cotton bias tape to my will (no evil scientist at work here, just glue and pins and a really hot iron).
Once the molecular compound was in place I had to tackle the elements, you know some C (carbon) H (hydrogen) and some O (oxygen), and a number, the number 3.

So may I present,


 "Take some aspirin and call me in the morning"
Quilt front

60 x60" square
Fabrics: Kona cotton black (bias tape/letters C,H,O), Kona snow (background), Kona steel, 2 circles, glass nano particle fabric (the 3 and 1 circle). The back is pieced (from stash) chemistry fabrics (thank you Christine) and more Kona solids.
Quilt back. showcasing a small collection of Chemistry fabrics.

Thread: Piecing: Aurifil #2024 in 50 wt, 100% cotton.
Quilting, same as above with the addition of  Black for the bias tape and letters. Superior threads metallic in silver for the accent.
Batting: 100% recycled cotton batting from Pellon
Binding: pieced 2" straight of grain (Kona snow, WOW scraps, IKEA black and white scraps)
pieced binding is subtle

Quilting: FMQ irregular triangles around compound and pebbles (bubbles) for the rest. 3 circles outlines only.
The addition of metallics is subtle but effective.


Techniques: Bias tape appliqué, turned edge appliqué, glue basting, FMQ
New and different:
Labeling: Although I will have an additional post about the label specifics, let's just say for now, I have a new way to label, and I love it. The "spontaneous Threads" is on the quilt and it can't be removed. It's also "reflective".
Periodic table fabric compliments of Christine Perrigio

Just some random things: I used the glass nano particle fabric that I have used previously in this quilt as well. It was the easiest solution to the number 3 and it wouldn't give me any frayed edges. Since the quilt is aspirin, and since I made a fuss about the 3, I thought it needed 3 representational aspirins on the quilt. I've been known to put a small statement in my quilt tops in the lower right hand corners and this quilt is no different. I did make one aspirin out of the glass nano particle fabric as well.  I like that it's not "in your face" aspirin, unless of course, you are up on your chemistry.
The flash is on for this photo and the glass nano particle fabric really stands out in the "aspirin" circle
and the number 3. 
I also pulled my love of metallic threads into this quilt too. It was suggested to me, and a great suggestion it was, to outline the triangular quilting in metallic thread. Kind of like the cartoon "Kapow" and "Boom" you see in comic books. I used the metallic to outline the transition from the very angular to the very circular. I like how it looks. And because I'm one to carry a theme to distraction, I did it three times.
Subtle metallic outline (x3)
There is nothing about this I don't like, look, even the selvedge on the periodic table of the elements fabric is in theme. (If there has been 3 of them, it would have been epic).
Erlenmeyer Flasks, how cute is that!!!!
I'm linking up with Amy's Creative Side, I couldn't decide what category to be in, Original design, Machine quilting, Small quilt, modern (because there is some of all of these in this quilt) …… I finally decided on appliqué as it was a technique I hadn't tried and I ended up using 2 different kinds (bias tape and turn-edge).

AmysCreativeSide.com
Please stop by and see all the other fabulous quilts on display!

16 comments:

  1. This is an amazing quilt! She is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing quilt! She is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a grade 12 chem teacher I would have cried happy happy tears had I received such a special gift. I love all your little "quirks" added into this amazing quilt. Wow, just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She will be very very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic quilt, perfect in every detail. The Blogger's Quilt Festival is on right now, maybe you will enter it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a beautiful modern quilt! I love your design and GREAT quilting!!! :)
    Greetings from Poland
    Kamila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. Better living through chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is so well thought out and perfectly executed. Lucky teacher and lucky kids to have such a positive role model.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome quilt! I love the combination of science and quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well done. I haven't ever heard of the glass fabric before, it looks really interesting. I have a chemistry loving child and I'm going to show him this blog post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really clever quilt! A very clever design and beautifully constructed. I love the FMQ.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is FABULOUS! Very creative and what a wonderful give to give to a beloved Teacher. The quilting is amazing and just love that element fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You. Are. So. Creative!!!! Love this minimalist piece. You inspire me. You really do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just so superb! I'm pretty bummed it won't be showing up at Quiltcon. Do you think you could borrow it back? (seriously). everything about this is well done-the idea, execution, quilting-so good

    ReplyDelete

If you don't speak up, I won't know what's in your mind…….